Re: Scanning pg_tablespace from walsender

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Scanning pg_tablespace from walsender
Date: 2011-01-03 16:29:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Magnus Hagander (magnus(at)hagander(dot)net) wrote:
> It's already a basic requirement that they need to be the same -
> replicating over a CREATE TABLESPACE is going to fail otherwise..
> Being able to deal with that in a nice way would be good, of course,
> but we don't have that today.

If CREATE TABLESPACE replication also looked at the flag I was
proposing, it could work. :) Of course, the admin wouldn't be able
to move the directory/change the symlink to where they actually want
it to be w/o taking the replication server down, but I'm not sure
that's a show-stopper...

It's certainly not the cleanest/nicest approach, don't get me wrong, but
I really hate the idea of forcing people to have an identical filesystem
layout on the slave that they have on the master.

Stephen