Re: Anyone for SSDs?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Vaibhav Kaushal <vaibhavkaushal123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Anyone for SSDs?
Date: 2010-12-29 20:34:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Vaibhav Kaushal wrote:
> > >
> > > So, code it.  Shouldn't be hard to write a demo comparison.  I don't
> > > believe that SSDs make quicksort-on-disk feasible, but would be happy to
> > > be proven wrong.
> >
> > I too do not believe it in normal case. However, considering the 'types'
> > of SSDs, it may be feasible! Asking for 'the next page and getting it'
> > has a time delay in the process. While on a regular HDD with spindles,
> > the question is "where is that page located", with SSDs, the question
> > disappears, because the access time is uniform in case of SSDs. Also,
> > the access time is about 100 times fasterm which would change quite a
> > few things about the whole process.
>
> What _is_ interesting is that Postgres often has sequential and
> random/disk ways of doing things, and by reducing random_page_cost when
> using SSDs, you automatically use more random operations, so in a way
> the Postgres code was already prepared for SSD usage.  Surprisingly, we
> had to change very little.

To add to this very late reply, we basically had random methods to do
things (in RAM), and sequential/random methods for disk.  By changing
random_page_cost, we favor doing random things on disk.

The big question is whether there are random things we have never
implemented on disk that now make sense --- off hand, I can't think of
any.