Re: CREATE OPERATOR and precedence

From: Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CREATE OPERATOR and precedence
Date: 2010-07-08 15:42:22
Lists: pgsql-docs
The Thursday 08 July 2010 16:31:41, Tom Lane wrote :
> Marc Cousin <cousinmarc(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > I just got caught by a precedence problem with CREATE OPERATOR.
> >
> > Obviously, it was mostly my fault (I didn't think of the precedence of my
> > operator at all), but I didn't find anything in the CREATE OPERATOR
> > documentation about it either.
> CREATE OPERATOR has nothing to say on the subject because operator
> precedences are hard-wired into the parser and can't be changed by
> 			regards, tom lane

Yes, that's what I found out, afterwards.

From a technical point of view, I obviously totally agree, operators have no
control over precedence, but I was only reporting this because I thought that
it might be helpful to put something like a pointer to this table in the

From the user's point of view, even if precedence is hard-wired in the parser,
a note about it could help here, if only as a reminder. The first thing I
thought when facing the problem was : "how do I specify the precedence ?". I
found out I couldn't, but a pointer or a note would have been even easier.