Re: Keepalives win32

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Pavel Golub <pavel(at)gf(dot)microolap(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Keepalives win32
Date: 2010-06-30 15:17:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > I still like #1 because it affects the fewest people, and that option
> > uses the RFC defaults only for unset values when others are set.
>
> What's your idea of "affecting the fewest people"?  There is no previous
> history to be backward-compatible with, because we never supported
> keepalive on Windows before.

Well, starting in 9.0, keepalives in libpq will default to 'on':

	Controls whether client-side TCP keepalives are used. The default
	value is 1, meaning on, but you can change this to 0, meaning off,
	if keepalives are not wanted.  This parameter is ignored for
	connections made via a Unix-domain socket.

My definition is whether we should affect keepalive behavior for the 99%
of people who do not change the libpq defaults, meaning the other
keepalive settings.  #2 would cause these people to use
non-registry-controlled keepalive behavior by using RFC defaults, and
even if we use Windows defaults, those defaults might be different for
different Windows versions.