Re: pg_upgrade invalid option

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade invalid option
Date: 2010-06-12 17:15:31
Lists: pgsql-docs

Thom Brown wrote:
> >> The only options available are:
> >>
> > <snip>
> >
> >> Are those instructions for an older version?
> >>

> > That's Bruce's book which is probably 8 or 9 years old now. It's
> > almost certainly referring to the old pg_upgrade shell script from
> > years ago.
> >

> Ah, unfortunately that's the first result in Google. I've resorted to

I am sure that will change soon. :-) The right URL is now #7 on
Google:

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/pgupgrade.html

> restoring from a full backup :( I don't think I could use it for
> upgrading from beta 1 to beta 2 anyway by the looks of things. The
> binary directories are updated since they share the same version
> number.

You certainly could have. The docs say:

F.31.1. Supported Versions

pg_upgrade supports upgrades from 8.3.X and later to the current major
release of PostgreSQL, including snapshot and alpha releases.

In fact, we were hoping people would test pg_upgrade during the required
beta2 catalog change.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com