Re: release notes

From: Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: release notes
Date: 2010-05-22 18:07:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 11:34:37AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Why do the release notes say this, under plperl:
> > * PL/Perl subroutines are now given names (Tim Bunce)
> > This is for the use of profiling and code coverage tools. DIDN'T
> > THEY HAVE NAMES BEFORE?
>
> > If whoever put this in the release notes had bothered to ask I am sure
> > we would have been happy to explain.
>
> You don't need to complain, just fix it. The point of the comment is
> that more explanation is needed.

I think you can just delete it. It's too esoteric to be worth noting.

Tim.

p.s. It also turned to be insufficiently useful for NYTProf since it
doesn't also update some internals to record the 'filename' and line
number range of the sub. So PostgreSQL::PLPerl::NYTProf works around
that by wrapping mkfuncsrc() to edit the generated perl code to include
a subname in the usual "sub $name { ... }" style. I may offer a patch
for 9.1 to to make it work that way.