C-Function: Returning Rows

From: Carel Combrink <s25291930(at)tuks(dot)co(dot)za>
To: PostgreSQL Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: C-Function: Returning Rows
Date: 2010-05-10 10:12:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

I have a C Function that returns a row. The following was used to
create the function (some code omitted):

CREATE TYPE __Result AS (status integer, last_response integer);
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION my_function(...) RETURNS __Result ...

in my function I have the following:
     TupleDesc tup_descriptor;
     Datum dat_values[2];
     HeapTuple heap_tuple;
     bool *pNulls;

     get_call_result_type(fcinfo, NULL, &tup_descriptor);
     dat_values[0] = Int32GetDatum(50);
     dat_values[1] = Int32GetDatum(20);
     iTup_Length = tup_descriptor->natts;
     pNulls = palloc(iTup_Length * sizeof(bool));
     heap_tuple = heap_form_tuple(tup_descriptor, dat_values, pNulls);

Calling the function works as expected but the return values (row) is
not correct, there is some problems. Sometimes when I call the
function I get:
(1 row)

and other times I get:
(1 row)

and I have seen:
(1 row)

Am I doing something wrong in my function that would have this affect?

I do not want to return the hard coded values but rather variables in
my function, this is for testing.

PostgreSQL 8.4 on Ubuntu 10.04
Carel Combrink

This message and attachments are subject to a disclaimer. Please refer
to for full
details. / Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule
onderhewig. Volledige besonderhede is by beskikbaar.

pgsql-novice by date