Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-29 16:23:26
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

* Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> [100429 12:14]:
HS is the most requested feature across multiple polls and *not* being
> able to connect to it is likely to come as a huge surprise to many
> people. HS is just as secure as the main database.
>
> There is no big use case for "run with HS turned off". Everybody wants
> it on, as long as it works and don't cause problems. So far, there is no
> evidence to make anyone think that it would and I wish to avoid that
> implication.
>
> Heikki previously argued strongly against having any switch at all, so
> it could be turned on all the time. Nothing's changed.

I'm not arguing against having it on by default.

What I'm against (and that's strong, it should probably be "prefer not
to have") is having it configured "on", but having it "not work".

If it's been configured to run in a state it can't, I would prefer it
didn't run, not that it ran, but in a slightly different state...

But I know that's just a preference... And one from an old-school unix
admin too...

a.

--
Aidan Van Dyk Create like a god,
aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca command like a king,