Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: MakeCheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

From: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>,Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: MakeCheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date: 2010-04-29 16:17:55
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
* Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com> [100429 12:06]:

> Repeating the same thing when its been refuted doesn't help. What you
> say has not been proposed.
>
> If there is a case for HS-off-by-default, make it. If you want to change
> code, arguing directly against your own position, mentioned many times,
> we need a reason. How else can we know which argument of yours to
> believe?

I'm not against HS being on-by-default.    But if it is, and the WAL
it's consuming doesn't have the HS-records by default, then I want PG to
consider that a problem, make sure I absolutely know it's a problem...

I agree with Heikki that the action-at-a-distance of HS
trying-to-work-but-maybe-not-this-time-depending-on-the-master is an
undesirable state...

Like everything else in PG, I'ld like it to "work completely", or tell
me there is a problem.

That said, I'ld probalby be happy with PG 9 having a "default" config
of:

	wal_mode = hot_standby
	recovery_connections = on

Make it set to generate enough WAL and actually do recovery connections.

But also make the recover_connections boolean really mean what it s
called.  It's not called try_recovery_connections

a.

aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca                                       command like a king,