PostgreSQL 8.4.3: configure script on Debian Lenny with libbsd-dev and libbsd0 installed does not detect strlcpy and strlcat functions

From: Holger Rauch <holger(dot)rauch(at)empic(dot)de>
To: psql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL 8.4.3: configure script on Debian Lenny with libbsd-dev and libbsd0 installed does not detect strlcpy and strlcat functions
Date: 2010-04-25 14:48:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi to everybody,

on a Debian Lenny system I got the error mentioned above, i. e.
configure reported "no" for both functions, even though the two BSD
compatibility packages mentioned in the subject are installed.
Both functions are declared in

/usr/include/bsd/string.h

When including that header file and linking with "-lbsd", it should be
OK, i. e. the configure checks for both functions should return "yes"
instead of "no".

So, my question is: Why does the configure script not include these
checks on Linux systems (for the bsd/string.h file and libbsd)?

I suspect that this might be a general problem on Linux, not just
limited to Debian Lenny.

(Hopefully, I didn't forget to mention anything. Otherwise, please
don't hesitate to ask.)

Thanks in advance & kind regards,

Holger