PostgreSQL Linux Distro

From: Carel Combrink <s25291930(at)tuks(dot)co(dot)za>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL Linux Distro
Date: 2010-04-14 07:29:37
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

I started using PostgreSQL on Ubunutu Linux. After a lots of struggles
I got the latest version of Postres, pgAdmin and PostGIS installed.
This was a testing phase to see if Postgres will be used in a new
project. I decided to use Postgres over MySQL and would now like to
know what is the best linux distro to install Postgres on.

I want the ability to use a package manager (like ubuntu's) to get the
latest versions of the above mentioned applications, as they become
available. I installed all the above from source because the
repositories for my Ubuntu does not have the latest releases. If there
is a package repository (for Ubuntu) that does have the latest
releases I can someone please help me get them added to my list of
repositories. I also want Linux to notify me if updates are available
and update the packages.

I am willing to get a new Linux distro if there is advantages to
another one, but wants to make an informed decision. What other
distros should I consider. It looks like it must be between CentOS,
Fedora and RedHat Enterprise. Does these have updated (to the latest
release) repositories of the required software. Is my assumption
correct that these have updated repositories and are the best
supported by PostgreSQL. I do know there is a licensing fee associated
with RHEL and is willing to obtain one if it is the better choice.

I come from a Windows background and Linux and Postgres (any DB) is
very new to me but I can find my way around with Linux.

Please help me with this as full scale development must start,
Carel

This message and attachments are subject to a disclaimer. Please refer
to www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ for full
details. / Hierdie boodskap en aanhangsels is aan 'n vrywaringsklousule
onderhewig. Volledige besonderhede is by
www.it.up.ac.za/documentation/governance/disclaimer/ beskikbaar.

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: A. KretschmerDate: 2010-04-14 07:46:19