Re: PostgreSQL Linux Distro

From: "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Linux Distro
Date: 2010-04-14 07:46:19
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Hi,
>
> I started using PostgreSQL on Ubunutu Linux. After a lots of struggles
> I got the latest version of Postres, pgAdmin and PostGIS installed.
> This was a testing phase to see if Postgres will be used in a new
> project. I decided to use Postgres over MySQL and would now like to
> know what is the best linux distro to install Postgres on.
>
> I want the ability to use a package manager (like ubuntu's) to get the
> latest versions of the above mentioned applications, as they become
> available. I installed all the above from source because the
> repositories for my Ubuntu does not have the latest releases. If there
> is a package repository (for Ubuntu) that does have the latest
> releases I can someone please help me get them added to my list of
> repositories. I also want Linux to notify me if updates are available
> and update the packages.

You an use 8.4 on Ubuntu, no problem:

09:43 < pg_docbot_adz> http://www.ubuntulinux.org :: https://launchpad.net/~pitti/+archive/postgresql :: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-setup-database-server-with-postgresql-and-pgadmin3.html ::
http://andreas.scherbaum.la/blog/archives/272-locales-on-Ubuntu.html
09:43 < pg_docbot_adz> http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/postgresql-8.4 :: http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2005-December/010338.html :: http://pwet.fr/man/linux/commandes/pg_wrapper

> I am willing to get a new Linux distro if there is advantages to
> another one, but wants to make an informed decision. What other
> distros should I consider. It looks like it must be between CentOS,
> Fedora and RedHat Enterprise. Does these have updated (to the latest

Use the distro you are familiar with.

Regards
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt: Heynitz: 035242/47150, D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)