Re: How long will the query take

From: "A(dot) Kretschmer" <andreas(dot)kretschmer(at)schollglas(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How long will the query take
Date: 2010-03-29 16:08:07
Lists: pgsql-general

> I ran a query out of pgAdmin, and (as I expected) it took a long
> time. In fact, I did not let it finish. I stopped it after a little
> over an hour.
>
> I'm using 8.4.2 on a Mac with a 2.4GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.
>
> My question is: is there a way to tell how close the query is to being
> finished. It would be a great pity if the query would have finished
> in the 10 seconds after I quit it, but I had no way of telling.
>
> As a postscript, I would add that the query was undoubtedly too
> ambitious. I have a reduced set version which I will run shortly.
> But I am still curious to know if there is a way to tell how much time
> is left.

No, not really. But you can (and should) run EXPLAIN <your query> to
obtain the execution plan for that query, und you can show us this plan
(and the table-definition for all included tables). Maybe someone is able
to tell you what you can do to speed up your query.

And yes, have you tuned your postgresql.conf?

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer
Kontakt: Heynitz: 035242/47150, D1: 0160/7141639 (mehr: -> Header)