Re: [GENERAL] libecpg versions and libecpg_compat

From: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Rob Newton <robn(at)mirrabooka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] libecpg versions and libecpg_compat
Date: 2010-02-16 08:48:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:44:26AM +1000, Rob Newton wrote:
> I posted this to the GENERAL list a while back, but got no repies.
> Perhaps someone here can help...

Didn't see it there, sorry.

> Then I noticed libecpg_compat in the lib area. What is this used
> for? "compat" suggests compatibility between different versions?

No, compat means compatibility towards different database systems. In this case
it more or less only means compatibility to Informix.

> Is there some way of building with Pg v8.0 ECPG lib and running on a
> system with Pg v8.4 ECPG lib? or vice versa? and is libecpg_compat
> intended for that purpose?

You can link the static library in so you're independant from the dynamic
libraries. However, I wonder if that's a good idea. ECPG's parser is build to
be in sync with the backend parser, i.e. ecpg 8.0 accepts all SQL statements
that the 8.0 backend understands which is is different set than what 8.4
understands. Also if my memory serves well, libpq has had a major version
update between 8.0 and 8.4, so if it works at all you might find that you have
to recompile the libraries too.

Is there any reason why you cannot simply recompile your programs against 8.4?

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
ICQ 179140304, AIM/Yahoo/Skype michaelmeskes, Jabber meskes(at)jabber(dot)org