Re: BUG #5283: Missing "base/1/ON" file during initdb

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5283: Missing "base/1/ON" file during initdb
Date: 2010-01-16 20:27:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Saturday 16 January 2010 14:02:16 Tom Lane wrote:
> "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> > I added --disable-largefile to configure after getting the following
> > error during "make install"
> >
> > access/transam/xlog.o: In function `XLogFileClose':
> > /usr/local/src/postgresql-8.4.2/src/backend/access/transam/xlog.c:2610:
> > undefined reference to `posix_fadvise64'
>
> Hmm, that looks like platform breakage that you ought to report to
> Slackware. We could probably make the configure test for posix_fadvise
> a little tighter, but not having a largefile variant of it doesn't seem
> like an expected situation.

Well, the box is old, and probably not as patched as it should be, so that
probably doesn't help.

> > copying template1 to template0 ... FATAL: could not stat file
> > "base/1/ON": No such file or directory
>
> Did you "make distclean" to be sure you had a clean start after changing
> the largefile setting? I'm not sure what all that affects, but a build
> that's only partially "largefile" would probably have some weird issues.

Blech. Didn't think about that, as I wasn't building from $scm, but I just
wiped my source tree away, blew the tarball back open, and did the whole dance
again, and now initdb works fine, so yes, looks like some leftovers from a
previous configure/make attempt before disabling fadvise. Nice catch, sorry for
the noise.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net