Re: Setting oom_adj on linux?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>,Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>,Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>,PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Setting oom_adj on linux?
Date: 2010-01-08 22:24:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Sure this was openssh? I just looked through the entire cvs history
> > for opensshp and found 0 references to 'oom' let alone 'oom_adj'.
> > Maybe something distro specific?
> FWIW, I see no evidence that sshd on Fedora does anything to change its
> oom score --- the oom_adj file reads as zero for both the parent daemon
> and its children.  Kinda scary to realize the OOM killer could easily
> lock me out of boxes I run headless.

There were a few issues, as it turns out, the particularly annoying one
was in the init script which caused upgrades to fail due to sshd not
being restarted, bug report here:

The other issue was with a Debian-specific patch which was applied to
OpenSSH which basically just created noise in the log file, bug report

In the end, the problem was with errors being returned from attempts to
modify oom_adj.  As long as we can just ignore those hopefully there
won't be any issues.