Re: damage control mode

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: damage control mode
Date: 2010-01-08 18:07:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:
> > You can't move from commitfest to beta until all _known_ bugs are
> > fixed/addressed, and you can't move from beta to RC using the same
> > criteria.
>
> Hmm. For 8.4, I don't think we actually fixed "all" known bugs - I
> think we made a decision about which ones had to be fixed and which
> ones we were going to push off, and then did so.

Right, we have to decide which ones get pushed to the TODO list, but
also consider that several obvious bugs got into the 8.4.0 release,
which is something we are going to try to avoid this time.

> > Of course we rarely have an ideal schedule --- we should expect
> > unexpected problems. ?Now, I know people are going to say I am being
> > over pessimistic, but history will bear out my analysis. ?I think we
> > should anticipate a July or August release of 8.5.
>
> I think so, too, but I'm actually afraid that if we don't start making
> some tough decisions soon it's going to be even later than that. I'm
> dismayed by the number of people who seem to think that the current
> schedule is not already tight.

Perhaps they are now dissuaded. ;-)

I think once HS and SR are in CVS we could easily be pushed back, but it
seems at least some people are willing to accept that. The only other
option is to keep them for 8.6 and let them be tested during a full
development cycle.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com