Largeobject Access Controls and pg_migrator

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
Cc: Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Largeobject Access Controls and pg_migrator
Date: 2009-12-13 01:39:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> KaiGai Kohei wrote:
> > > What happens when
> > > there is no entry in pg_largeobject_metadata for a specific row?
> >
> > In this case, these rows become orphan.
> > So, I think we need to create an empty large object with same LOID on
> > pg_migrator. It makes an entry on pg_largeobject_metadata without
> > writing anything to the pg_largeobject.
> > I guess rest of migrations are not difference. Correct?
>
> Agreed. I have modified pg_migrator with the attached patch which
> creates a script that adds default permissions for all large object
> tables.

Oops, seem like I have a problem in getting pg_migrator to populate
pg_largeobject_metadata:

test=> select lo_import('/etc/profile');
lo_import
-----------
16385
(1 row)

test=> select lo_import('/etc/profile.env');
lo_import
-----------
16386
(1 row)

test=> select oid,* from pg_largeobject_metadata;
oid | lomowner | lomacl
16385 | 10 |
16386 | 10 |
(2 rows)

You might remember that INSERT cannot set the oid of a row, so I don't
see how pg_migrator can migrate this? Is there a reason we used 'oid'
in pg_largeobject_metadata but 'lobj' in pg_largeobject? Why did't we
add the lomowner and lomacl columns to pg_largeobject?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com