Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-07-01 18:29:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>
> > How could we have possibly completed the last commit-fest and gotten
> > ready for beta in two months --- that is just not realistic.  I
> > think we anticipated a 2x longer final commit-fest, two months, but
> > there was no time scheduled for actual beta preparation.
>
> For my edification, could you point me at something which identifies
> the work needed after everything is committed and before the first
> beta is released?  (I can't remember reading anything like that, but
> it may have fallen through the cracks.)
>
> If no such page exists, could you sketch out a brief outline?

I just posted on this, but the answer is that commit-fest is for getting
patches applied --- it does not address open bugs that have to be
addressed before we can go to beta.  Those bugs could be new or could be
related to previously-applied patches.  That process can take 1-2
months.

> > I think there was some ideal that we wouldn't need any time to
> > prepare for beta and that we would have dealt with all bugs by the
> > time the last commit-fest is complete, but that is illusory.
>
> I thought one of the purposes of the two-month beta testing phase on
> the calendar was to find and fix bugs.  That was in addition to the
> two month final commit-fest.

But usually by the time we finish the last commit-fest, we already have
lots of bugs we know about (usually hard to fix), and it doesn't make
sense to go into beta with known bugs.