Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-07-01 18:20:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > OK, that is more accurate, but looking at the schedule:
>
> > 	1st November 2008 - final commit fest begins
> > 	1st January 2009 - beta 1
> > 	1st March 2009 - 8.4.0 release
>
> > How could we have possibly completed the last commit-fest and gotten
> > ready for beta in two months --- that is just not realistic.
>
> We didn't know that at the time, though.  We thought the last CF would
> take a month plus.  And up till November the CFs *were* getting done
> in about a month.
>
> In retrospect, the CF idea took some of the edge off the problem of
> lots of large patches arriving at the feature freeze deadline, but it
> is far from having eliminated the problem.

The beta preparation is dealing with all open issues, which is different
than the focus of the commit-fest.  Ideally we would be addressing those
open/bug issues during normal development, but for the hard problems
seem to linger and then we have to deal with them during beta
preparation, which can take 1-2 months.