Re: 8.5 development schedule

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 8.5 development schedule
Date: 2009-06-30 14:11:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 30 June 2009 16:50:55 Kevin Grittner wrote:
> > However, if anything, I think if anything we should go the other way
> > and start the first CommitFest July 15th.
>
> I'm curious what the counter-arguments to this are.  Is it
> review-fatigue from getting the release out, or is there an economy of
> scale to building up a 100 patches before starting to review?  Would
> reviewing these get some contributors moving again, thus boosting the
> total work hours available for the 8.5 release?  Would it pull people
> off of WIP?

Well, think about what could happen if we go this way.  What you basically
have here are people who have essentially ignored the commitfest and beta
mandates and worked on new patches.  And they now get to say, because we
already have enough patches, let's start the commit fest early.  And then the
same people might ignore the commitfest mandate again and produce another 100
patches by the time this commit fest ends.  So let's start the next commit
fest right after this one.

So, I think, the schedule should be balanced, reflective of our desired
development method, independent of momentary circumstances, and certainly not
unduly influenced by those who chose to ignore the very same schedule.

These points are debatable, but then you are almost debating the point of
having a schedule at all.