Re: CLUSTER not in multi-command string?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Michael Monnerie <michael(dot)monnerie(at)is(dot)it-management(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: CLUSTER not in multi-command string?
Date: 2009-04-30 01:51:17
Lists: pgsql-admin
Michael Monnerie wrote:
> On Mittwoch 29 April 2009 Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Multi-table cluster (i.e. the one where you don't specify one table
> > to cluster) cannot be used in a transaction block, function, etc, and
> > the FM does mention it:

> Ah, found this now, in the docs 8.1-8.3. But strange thing is..
>
> [I sent this mail this morning at 07:08 local time but it didn't make it
> through, without me getting any note:]

The lists have been dead slow today; I think we have a problem with the
antispam setup, and the admin is off in a trip.  (This is why it's a
good idea to CC people on replies.)

> I looked further now: Above error was from Postgres 8.3.5 on openSUSE
> 11.1, but it works on Postgres 8.1.11 from openSUSE 10.2. Why did
> it become worse?

Well, it became more consistent with what happens when you submit stuff
on several requests versus a single request (IIRC psql -c always submit the
string as a single request).  The 8.3 release notes have:

# Commands rejected in transaction blocks are now also rejected in
  multiple-statement query strings (Tom)
	For example, "BEGIN; DROP DATABASE; COMMIT" will now be rejected
	even if submitted as a single query message.