BUG #4770: Error initializing slon in command line and hence running Slony

From: "Quincy" <qj_qwerty(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #4770: Error initializing slon in command line and hence running Slony
Date: 2009-04-21 19:22:03
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      4770
Logged by:          Quincy
Email address:      qj_qwerty(at)hotmail(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.7
Operating system:   Windows Vista
running Slony
Details:

Hello everyone, I tried to find a solution for a few days now on an error
that kept occuring after

trying to install & run slony-1 immediately after installing postgres DB
system.

What kept on happening after installing slony-1 via the stackbuilder and
then testing the slon

service in command line was an error containing the following:
"The procedure entry point libiconv_set_relocation_prefix could not be
located in the dynamic link

library libiconv-2.dll".

Windows log had this in the error report:
libiconv-2.dll!libiconv_set_relocation_prefix

It took a while to realise that when I install slony-1, it creates and
overwrites the file libiconv

-2.dll found in the bin of the postgres installation folder. The only
difference between the files

are their size & date created.

What I found as a work around was to first stop the posgres service, then
use the libiconv-2.dll

(947kb) originally installed by postgres and by either renaming or moving
that file to then

overwrite the libiconv-2.dll created by the slony installation. Meaning, the
file that should remain

for everything to work is the original libiconv-2.dll (947kb) created by the
postgres installation.

If this error was already addressed please let me know as I really was
trying to find a solution to

the above problem and could not find one suitable.

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2009-04-21 20:17:38
Subject: Re: BUG #4768: FATAL:could not reattach to shared memory:487