Re: the sad state of our FAQs

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: the sad state of our FAQs
Date: 2009-03-07 19:53:05
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-www
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Our FAQs are in a really sad state and it#s about time to think about
> what we want to do about that because in the current state there are
> creating much more harm than good.

[...]

> My proposal is to move all the FAQs to the wiki(just with what happened
> with the developer FAQ) with the hope that more people get interested in
>  keeping them up to date and only reference those on the main page that
> at least contains "somewhat" accurate information.I honestly believe
> that the current state is more damaging that not having any (translated
> FAQs) at all.

I completely agree that having a bad translation is worse than not
having a translation at all.  However, enthusiastic people will
translate anything you throw at them, and if the tools don't help, the
results will be less than ideal; bad formatting, slightly wrong answers,
outdated answers.

If we move the FAQ to the wiki, the outdated translations will not
disappear nor be automatically updated.  I claim that if we move them to
a translatable framework that helps people notice when the translation
is nonexistant or out of date, we will have better results.

I proposed this previously but got no support from Bruce who is supposed
to be the FAQ maintainer, and thus I ended up doing nothing.  Therefore
I now offer to do the job required to move them to XML Docbook and allow
translatability using xml2po or something similar.