Re: Driver crashing on many temporary tables?

From: Jan-Peter(dot)Seifert(at)gmx(dot)de
To: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Driver crashing on many temporary tables?
Date: 2009-03-06 09:27:39
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello Hiroshi Inoue,

thank you very much for your quick reply.

> > we have a problem with psqlODBC v8.2.300 (maybe some older releases as
> well) and above - up to v8.3.400.
> > Some large operations/transactions can cause the driver to crash -
> obviously depends on the size of the db as well though.
> > It seems to happen on the same query on the same client - but
> different from the other clients/servers/days.
> > Operations on temporary tables seem to be involved every time. We
> store search results in dynamically generated temporary
> > tables and the problematic operations create(d) MANY of them in
> recursive functions. We restored the test dbs from the same
> > backup.
> > The servers (e.g. Windows v8.3.6 and Linux v8.3.5) don't crash though.
> > Remarkably older versions like v8.0.01.01 have been reported to now show
> this problem with the same db. I did check the
> > psqlODBC's release notes but I have no idea which change could
> indirectly be resonsible.
> > I activated Mylog and Comlog in the system-DSN. The Uncompressed Mylog
> got pretty large (over 2,5 GB) so is there a way
> > to change the standard paths for these logs?
> > It seems that Mylog uses quite a few resources as well - e.g. I had to
> increase max_locks_per_transaction considerably from normal. Otherwise our
> application would hang in transaction.
> > The compressed log-Files are still over 250 MB - so I didn't attach
> them.
>
> Hmm I'm not sure I can find something from such a big file.

Well - It might just be a flaw in our code/design that is eating resources away unnecessarily. It's just strange that it's the driver and not the server crashing and that older versions of psqlODBC seem to work fine.

> BTW how big is the size of Commlog file?

The Commlog is about 70 MB. I'll do another run with psqlodbc-08_00_0101 myself to make sure that this version really does not crash on this db. I noticed that quite a few cursors are declared with hold (but also released) during the run of the problematic application. The encoding of the data bases is LATIN1. Yesterday I detected lines with characters not defined in LATIN1 in the dump. I'll check on this as well.

> Anyway could you put them somewhere where I can dounload it?

I've asked our admins to set up an account on our ftp server for you. I'll send the login information to your private email address as soon as I get it or do you maybe have a ftp server where I can upload the logs? If psqlodbc-08_00_0101 is not crashing should I try to let the run be logged in Mylog and Comlog?

Thank you very much,

Peter