Re: Benchmark comparing PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle

From: Sergio Lopez <sergio(dot)lopez(at)nologin(dot)es>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Benchmark comparing PostgreSQL, MySQL and Oracle
Date: 2009-02-23 18:29:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

El Sat, 21 Feb 2009 21:04:49 -0500
"Jonah H. Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com> escribió:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Denis Lussier <
> denis(dot)lussier(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > As the author of BenchmarkSQL and the founder of EnterpriseDB.... I
> > can assure you that BenchmarkSQL was NOT written specifically for
> > PostgreSQL. It is intended to be a completely database agnostic
> > tpc-c like java based benchmark.
>

> With the exception that it analyzes Postgres tables but not Oracle or
> InnoDB, I agree with that. The goal of BenchmarkSQL was to be a
> database agnostic benchmark kit.

I've just made the same tests analyzing Oracle (with the dbms.stats
package) and not analyzing Postgres, and results are almost the same
as the ones obtained before. The queries and schema used by BenchmarkSQL
seem to be too simple to let place for plan optimization.

On the other hand... you were right. My benchmark has a serious flaw,
but it isn't in database configuration, but in the client which runs the
tests, which is a bottleneck for all the environments.

I've just solved this issue, and I'm now running again the tests and
Oracle defeats PostgreSQL by far.

I've taken down the article and I'll bring up it again when I've
collected new numbers.

I must say thanks to your skepticism ;-)