Re: Pet Peeves?

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-02-05 17:08:39
Lists: pgsql-general
Hi,

I think too that having the possibility of scheduling database maintenance
function right into the database would be a great feature. The first use case
that comes to my mind is this */5 cron job which runs psql just to clean out
old sessions and force a vacuum analyze.

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 19:42:27 Simon Riggs wrote:
> As A.M. says elsewhere, it would be good to have a trigger that fired a
> NOTIFY that was picked up by a scheduled job that LISTENs every 10
> minutes for certain events.

In another thread Hannu talked about a completely different need where
integrating a ticker (PGQ) would help. It seems this is just another need for
it, extended to the event producing and consuming facet of it.

 http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-02/msg00117.php
 - New fork to keep no more visible MVCC row version with timestamping
 - Support for time travel facilities (SELECT ... AS OF 'yesterday'::date;)
 - Timestamping done after the fact thanks to the ticker (timestamptz/txid)

> We need a place for code that is *not* directly initiated by a user's
> actions, yet works as part of a closed loop system.

Exactly.
--
dim