Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta
Date: 2009-01-24 15:33:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

KaiGai Kohei wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Now that we are two months into the final commit fest, it is time to
> > finalize all the open patches so we can target a February beta.
> >
> > The two major outstanding patches are:
> >
> > o SE-PostgreSQL: The author has done an outstanding job of
> > reworking the patch so the burden is now on the community. We have to
> > decide if we want to add this amount of new code to have both SQL row
> > permissions and SE-Linux support.
> >
> > o Recovery, Replication, Hot Standby: We need a _final_ version
> > of any patches that are targeted for 8.4. There is so much activity in
> > this area I am unclear what is ready for 8.4.
> >
> > I think the remaining patches can be addressed pretty easily but we need
> > final versions from any authors who are still adjusting them.
> >
> > Let's see what we can get done in the next two weeks and reevaluate.
>
> From the recent pgsql-hackers, it seems me people implicitly considers
> the last commit-fest is forcibly called off at end of the January.

No, we still have many people working on patches and the commit-fest is
going to extend into February.

I am about to post to the 'announce' list saying discussion on this
patch will begin on Wednesday, at 12:00 GMT. The text is below:

The PostgreSQL community is considering including security enhancements
in Postgres 8.4, e.g. row-level permissions and SE-Linux security.
However, to evaluate the patch and its usefulness, we need security
experts who want to use this capability or have used it in other
databases.

The most recent version of the patch is mentioned here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg01680.php

Particularly interesting is the documentation patch:

http://sepgsql.googlecode.com/files/sepostgresql-docs-8.4devel-3-r1460.patch

If you know someone who is interested in these features or can help in
discussing them, please have them subscribe to pgsql-hackers here:

http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/subscribe

Email discussion about this topic will start on Wednesday, 12:00 GMT,
and will include the subject text "SE-PostgreSQL".

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com