Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Time to finalize patches for 8.4 beta
Date: 2009-01-05 20:05:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-01-03 at 22:34 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > 	o Recovery, Replication, Hot Standby:  We need a _final_ version
> > of any patches that are targeted for 8.4.  There is so much activity in
> > this area I am unclear what is ready for 8.4.
>
> What do we mean by _final_? This a serious, polite question.
>
> Hot Standby hasn't had any serious code review yet by anybody, AFAIK.
>
> Hot Standby is not a "WIP" patch. >96-8% of the patch is identical to
> the way it was on Nov 1: ready for some review comments and
> testing/usability feedback. The later a review happens the less time we
> have to change anything within the patch in response to comments. If
> anybody is deliberately holding back on review, they need to talk to me,
> directly, soon.
>
> The main problem seems to be that all qualified developers are allocated
> elsewhere, or working on their own patches.
>
> If we want this in 8.4, then other developers or companies need to
> allocate some time to assist with its inclusion. All help greatly
> appreciated.

I assume hot standby is ready for review/commit.  The commit fest wiki
has:

	o  Infrastructure changes for recovery
	o  Hot Standby - queries during archive recovery
	o  rmgr hooks and contrib/rmgr_hook
	o  Synchronous log-shipping replication

Are these all ready for review/commit?  I assume all are except I don't
know the answer for the last one.