Re: proposal sql: labeled function params

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hannu Krosing" <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: proposal sql: labeled function params
Date: 2008-08-16 17:44:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Saturday 16 August 2008 09:38:41 Pavel Stehule wrote:
> because you have to write labels, where labels are equal with column
> names. I would to add same comfort like SQL/XML functions.

Just a thought: You might be able to design this in some way to work on top of
named parameter calling. Define a function with variadic arguments and allow
passing arbitrary parameter names. Before you can use that to implement
xmlforest in user space you need to work out the issue of passing arbitrary
argument types. But that is also something that would be interesting for
other purposes.