Case Insensitive searches

From: "Mike Gould" <mgould(at)allcoast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Case Insensitive searches
Date: 2008-08-04 13:54:38
Lists: pgsql-sql

In the application that we are working on, all data searches must be case insensitive.

Select * from test where column1 = 'a' and Select * from test where column1 = 'A' should always be the same and use the index if column1 is indexed. In order to do this am I going to be required to use the lower() on all selects in order to make sure that they are case insensitive? In some db's if you use a lower() or upr() it will always do a table scan instead of using a index

Best Regards,

Michael Gould, Manager Information Technology
All Coast Intermodal Services, Inc.
First Coast Intermodal Services, Inc.
First Coast Logistical Services, LLC.
904-226-0978