Re: Plans for 8.4

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Plans for 8.4
Date: 2008-07-31 02:48:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Henry B. Hotz (hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu) wrote:
> I'm making no promises, but what would people think of a hostgss hba
> option?

As described, sounds like a win to me. It'd be very nice to be able to
just use GSSAPI encryption on the link. That, combined w/ Magnus' work
on username/princ mappings, would really bring PostgreSQL up to date wrt
GSSAPI support.

It'd really be great to have this support in the ODBC and JDBC drivers
too.. I think in JDBC it might 'just work', I'm less sure about ODBC.

As a practical question- would you really need a seperate explicit
pg_hba option for it? It'd be nice to be able to require it, if
desired, but that strikes me as more sensible as an option to the 'gss'
auth mechanism?

Thanks!

Stephen