Re: How do I set up automatic backups?

From: hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>
To: Rob Richardson <Rob(dot)Richardson(at)rad-con(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How do I set up automatic backups?
Date: 2008-07-30 08:01:10
Lists: pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 04:24:08PM -0400, Rob Richardson wrote:
> him.  The only answers I've found on the Internet involve creating a
> password-less account and using that to run pg_dump.  What is the
> official best way to automatically back up a PostGres database?

using pg_dump - yes.
making it's account passwordless - not necessarily.
you can use various methods of getting access to database without
password. you can use "ident sameuser" authentication method in
pg_hba.conf. you can use pgpass file, use can use PGPASSWORD environment
variable. there are also another ways, but these look the best for me.

depesz

--
Linked in: http://www.linkedin.com/in/depesz
jid/gtalk: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com