Re: pg_dump(all) library

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump(all) library
Date: 2008-07-26 15:13:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers
* David Fetter (david(at)fetter(dot)org) wrote:
> This subject keeps coming up, then back down, etc.
>
> What would a libpgdump API look like?

Honestly, when I was thinking about the "-w" command and whatnot, my
first reaction was "gee, it'd be nice to be able to dump the schema
using a \copy schema or something from psql".  And then "you know, some
other utilities that don't use psql might find it useful too.".

That also got me to thinking about the "pgscript" type of idea, and
about wildcards for commands, and being able to loop through objects in
a scriptable way that's not a really ugly combination of psql calls and
shell script...

Dunno if that helps much, just trying to get out what was going through
my head.

	Thanks,

		Stephen