Re: how to fix problem then when two queries run at the same time, it takes longer to complete then if run in sequence

From: Miernik <public(at)public(dot)miernik(dot)name>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to fix problem then when two queries run at the same time, it takes longer to complete then if run in sequence
Date: 2008-07-23 23:04:04
Lists: pgsql-performance
Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Well, my guess is that by running under Xen you're already sacrificing
> quite a bit of performance, and running it with only 48 Megs of ram is
> making it even worse.  But if your budget is $100 a year, I guess
> you're probably stuck with such a setup.  I would see if you can get a
> trial Xen at the other hosts with 128M or more of memory and compare.

Is running in a 48 MB Xen any different in terms of performance to
running on a hardware 48 MB RAM machine?

I see that I am not the only one with such requirements, one guy even
set up a site listing all VPS providers which host for under 7$ per
month: http://www.lowendbox.com/virtual-server-comparison/
You can see that the most you can get for that money is a 128 MB OpenVZ
I wonder if running PostgreSQL on OpenVZ is any different to running it
on Xen in terms of performance.

Oh here is something more:
http://vpsempire.com/action.php?do=vpslite
256 MB for 7.45$ per month
512 MB for 11.95$ per month
however it doesn't say what is the virtualization software, so don't
really know what it is.

--
Miernik
http://miernik.name/