pg_dump additional options for performance

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump additional options for performance
Date: 2008-07-20 03:07:49
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Simon,

  I agree with adding these options in general, since I find myself
  frustrated by having to vi huge dumps to change simple schema things.
  A couple of comments on the patch though:

  - Conflicting option handling
    I think we are doing our users a disservice by putting it on them to
	figure out exactly what:
	multiple object groups cannot be used together
	means to them.  You and I may understand what an "object group" is,
	and why there can be only one, but it's a great deal less clear than
	the prior message of
	options -s/--schema-only and -a/--data-only cannot be used together
	My suggestion would be to either list out the specific options which
	can't be used together, as was done previously, or add a bit of (I
	realize, boring) code and actually tell the user which of the
	conflicting options were used.

  - Documentation
	When writing the documentation I would stress that "pre-schema" and
	"post-schema" be defined in terms of PostgreSQL objects and why they
	are pre vs. post.

  - Technically, the patch needs to be updated slightly since another
	pg_dump-related patch was committed recently which also added
	options and thus causes a conflict.

  Beyond those minor points, the patch looks good to me.

  	Thanks,

		Stephen

Next:From: Simon RiggsDate: 2008-07-20 04:47:09
Next:From: Simon RiggsDate: 2008-07-20 04:47:09
Subject: Re: Is autovacuum doing a wraparound-avoiding VACUUM?