Re: Simplify formatting.c

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Simplify formatting.c
Date: 2008-06-21 20:06:45
Lists: pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > Why not use wchar2char?  It seems there's room for extra cleanup here.
> > >
> > > Also, the prototype of str_initcap in builtins.h looks out of place.
> >
> > I talked to Alvaro on IM, and there is certainly much more cleanup to do
> > in this area. I will work from the bottom up.  First, is moving the
> > USE_WIDE_UPPER_LOWER define to c.h, and removing TS_USE_WIDE and using
> > USE_WIDE_UPPER_LOWER instead.  Patch attached and applied.
>
> The second step is to move wchar2char() and char2wchar() from tsearch
> into /mb to be easier to use for other modules;  also move pnstrdup().

The third step is for oracle_compat.c::initcap() to use
formatting.c::str_initcap().  You can see the result;  patch attached
(not applied).

This greatly reduces the size of initcap(), with the downside that we
are making two extra copies of the string to convert it to/from char*.

Is this acceptable?  If it is I will do the same for uppper()/lower()
with similar code size reduction and modularity.

If not perhaps I should keep the non-multibyte code in initcap() and
have only the multi-byte use str_initcap().