Re: block error, but can't pg_dump

From: NOW Web Sites Manager <webperson(at)now(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: block error, but can't pg_dump
Date: 2008-06-17 05:39:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thanks for your reply. I'm afraid my Linux/Postgresql isn't quite
good enough to use your answer.

1) Yes, I was selecting the records by the primary key.

2) Much of the data in this table can be dumped. It's helpful for
reports but it would be fine to archive it or even zero it out if it
would get this working again. I'd love to save recent data somehow,
though, and the pg_dump only dumps the oldest.

3) I'm using Red Hat Linux, but when I tried to install the rhdb it
failed on make although I downloaded version 4.0. I am using
Postgresql 8.0.13 -- I know I should upgrade but I needed an older
version for older software I was using and then even now I shouldn't
upgrade until I can backup everything.

4) I don't quite know how to get the OID of my database (directory
name) and the relfilenode of the table. If I try and connect to
pg_database (psql -d pg_database) when signed in as the postgresql user, I get:
psql: FATAL: database "pg_database" does not exist
I've looked online but can't find a page to describe what to do.

I've thought about using delete * where... from the database to
delete the older records in case that fixes it, but select * where...
for older records doesn't work, so I assume delete won't either? I
don't want to try this if it doesn't even get me anywhere.

Thanks so much for your help.