Re: rfc: add pg_dump options to dump output

From: James William Pye <pgsql(at)jwp(dot)name>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: rfc: add pg_dump options to dump output
Date: 2008-06-03 16:43:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 01:17:43AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> > I would like to add the flags given to pg_dump into the output of the pg_dump
> > file.

+1, FWIW

> > Anyone see any issues with this?
>
> I'm a bit worried about breaking diff-equality of matching dumps,

I don't tend to do this too often, but I'm curious if others make a habit of this
for some process. When I have done this, it's normally one-off case.

> but mainly I don't see the point.

It's informative, no? Sure if every dump used the same flags, it's pointless.
However, that's certainly not the case: --schema, --exclude-schema, etc. ie, I
imagine it would be nice to have the information about how a dump was performed
without having to track down someone's script or pester the person who's in the
know via e-mail if you wanted/needed to repeat the process.