problem with pgadmin 1.8.2 to keep connection to postgresql 8.2.6

From: "Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia(at)l00-bugdead-prods(dot)de>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: problem with pgadmin 1.8.2 to keep connection to postgresql 8.2.6
Date: 2008-05-16 11:05:07
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

i installed the pgadmin3 rpm for opensuse 10.2 i586, from the pgadmin
download page. I can connect to the database, and also run some few queries,
but then, sometimes after the second, sometimes a bit later, maybe after the
fifth, or tenth time, the query does not succeed anymore and in the result
field in pgadmin3 it says ********error*********
When I then try again to submit the query, a small empty window pops up, and
then pgadmin3 hangs. I either have to kill it, or it dies by itself.
When pgadmin it dies, I see the following on the console:

(pgadmin3:5689): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_set_geometry_hints: assertion
`GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

(pgadmin3:5689): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_resize: assertion
`GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
Xlib: unexpected async reply (sequence 0xa3a60)!
Xlib: sequence lost (0xb0000 > 0xa3a61) in reply type 0x0!

I also tried to run pgadmin3 --sync, as on another time when it crashed, it
suggested to use this parameter. But then, the problem was not reproducible,
because the query seems to take forever, the counter of miliseconds in the
lower right corner was at about 50000 when I stopped it. The query run from
pgadmin without --sync parameter took only about 40ms.

The query that I submit is very easy: select * from segment; in that table,
there are only twenty rows in it, and I can do the same statement from
commandline via psql without any problems.

The database is running on a SLES10SP1 x86_64, the client is a opensuse
10.2, i586.

Has anybody seen this, and an idea, how to fix it?

kind regards
Sebastian