Re: BUG #4162: Hotbackup recovery doesn't work in windows

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Javier <elpochodelagente(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4162: Hotbackup recovery doesn't work in windows
Date: 2008-05-13 20:14:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 00:45 +0000, Javier wrote:
> > The following bug has been logged online:
> >
> > Bug reference: 4162
> > Logged by: Javier
> > Email address: elpochodelagente(at)gmail(dot)com
> > PostgreSQL version: 8.3.1
> > Operating system: Windows XP SP2
> > Details:
> >
> > I've found that the hotbackup recovery process as described in
> > http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/continuous-archiving.html
> > fails in windows.
>
> What are you running and how are you running this exactly?
>
> Please can you provide more details rather than your thoughts on
> > The cause...
>
> If what you say is correct then it is crash recovery that is failing.

I think the analysis of the cause itself is correct - we can end up
calling close(-1), and that will fail *on some versions of the
runtime*. It doesn't crash on all. There may also be something else
that's broken that's causing it to happen in this case, but that code
certainly looks dangerous to me. I'd be inclined to fix it along the
way he suggests, even if it's not the root cause of this issue. Any
objection to that?

Javier - is this happening with the binary win32 build, or do you have
your own build? If you have your own, what compiler and runtime are you
using?

//Magnus