Re: Replication Syatem

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication Syatem
Date: 2008-04-28 16:22:43
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 07:35:37PM +0530, Gauri Kanekar wrote:
> Peter,
>
> We are doing vacuum full every alternate day. We also do vacuum analyze very
> often.

VACUUM FULL is making your problem worse, not better.  Don't do that.

> We are currently using 8.1.3 version.

You need immediately to upgrade to the latest 8.1 stability and
security release, which is 8.1.11.  This is a drop-in replacement.
It's an urgent fix for your case.

> Auto vacuum is already on. But the table1 is so busy that auto vacuum don't
> get sufficient chance to vacuum it :(.

You probably need to tune autovacuum not to do that table, and just
vacuum that table in a constant loop or something.  VACUUM should
_never_ "take the site down".  If it does, you're doing it wrong.

> Have already tried all the option listed by you, thats y we reached to the
> decision of having a replication sytsem. So any suggestion on that :).

I think you will find that no replication system will solve your
underlying problems.  That said, I happen to work for a company that
will sell you a replication system to work with 8.1 if you really want
it.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com
+1 503 667 4564 x104