Re: Tech details - psql wraps at window width

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2(at)obviously(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Tech details - psql wraps at window width
Date: 2008-04-26 01:34:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Samstag, 26. April 2008 schrieb Bryce Nesbitt:
> But that leaves a big hole: what does the setting in .psqlrc refer to?
> Do we need separate controls in .psql?
>
>    \pset format_terminal wrap [auto|nnn|off]
>    \pset format_terminal html
>    \pset format_stream wrap [auto|nnn|off]
>    \pset format_stream html

I think one of the weirdest behaviors in psql is that it reads the startup
file in noninteractive mode. Unix shells don't do this for good reasons. If
we could work out a change that moves the psql startup file behavior more in
line with that of Unix shells, perhaps meaning separate startup files, then
users could put all the crazy formatting settings they like in .psqlrc
without affecting noninteractive output. And there would still be the
possibility to format noninteractive output the way you want by explicit
intervention. This is basically what your pseudoproposal above would
accomplish, just on a more global scale.