Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes?

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to modify ENUM datatypes?
Date: 2008-04-24 08:25:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 17:18:12 -0600 Scott Marlowe wrote:

> I would put it that gender is not so easily defined, which makes it a
> poor choice for enum.

That's why my original statement had the additional note about special
cases.

If you write an address book you normally don't want to add information
like transgender - just 'male', 'female', 'unknown' seems enough here.
If you define a medical database, you have to extend the ENUM values a
bit, but even then you know the possible values in advance before
creating the ENUM - just that you have some more choices than in your
address book.

It all depends on the use case, just like ENUM itself.

Kind regards

--
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group