Re: FATAL: could not open relation xxx: No such file or directory

From: Michael Monnerie <michael(dot)monnerie(at)it-management(dot)at>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FATAL: could not open relation xxx: No such file or directory
Date: 2008-04-22 09:02:59
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Donnerstag, 17. April 2008 Mikko Partio wrote:
> I run fsck on the filesystem (gfs) -- no problems found. The disks
> are from a san and the diagnostic programs say there's nothing wrong.
> I also have other db clusters running on different filesystems (also
> gfs) and I have never had any problems with them.

A bit OT, but maybe related: I have similar strangeness with a Linux box
with Areca controller. On this box, the reiserfs filesystem starts
getting seriously damaged after some time. Memtest showed no problems,
and everything looks fine. Today we will replace the mainboard, it
could have an internal problem (transport from memory to controller
broken?).

What I had twice (on different customers, once SCSI once SATA) is that a
broken hard disk reports no errors, but delivers different data than
what was written before. Very nasty, as the RAID controller doesn't see
any problem, and destroys even the good harddisks data after the next
write, because the read data is already broken.

HTH, good luck.

mfg zmi
// Tel: 0676/846 914 666                      .network.your.ideas.
// Keyserver: www.keyserver.net                   Key-ID: 1C1209B4