Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>, Ronald Kuczek <kuczek(at)kuczek(dot)pl>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4068: Failed to compile 8.3.1
Date: 2008-03-27 20:20:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> > Ronald Kuczek napsal(a):
> >> make[3]: Entering directory
> >> `/usr/src/postgres/postgresql-8.3.1/src/backend/utils/mb/conversion_procs/ut
> >> f8_and_shift_jis_2004'
> >> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `utf8_and_shift_jis_2004.o', needed by
> >> `'.  Stop.
> > Please, could you send a configure setup and gcc version could be useful as well.
> I think the gmake version would be more relevant.  Given that this works
> for everyone else, I have to think the OP's copy of gmake is borked ...

Actually I've seen this reported before:

This guy has always compiled from sources, so he was surprised that it
didn't work with 8.3.1.  He says he got the tarball from the main FTP
site.  He found out that the utf8_and_shift_jis_2004.c file was missing,
so he copied it from the SVN repo:

What we haven't quite figured out is why the file wasn't present on the
tarball he downloaded.  Is it possible that a borked tarball was
uploaded somewhere?

Hmm, further down the thread, he says several people have seen this

Alvaro Herrera