Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, "Jean-Paul Argudo" <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>, "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2008-02-04 17:11:52
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
> I agree except for that last bit.  Search is huge and relying only on
> word-of-mouth is silly when we have plenty of people who know how to
> optimize.

This is completely the wrong argument to be having.  Search engine issues
are important only *after* you have a certification exam and program.
Right now, you have a mailing list and presumably a trac archive, i.e.
nothing.  Search issues are at least a year away.

So the important thing at this stage is getting the maximum number of
useful community members to contribute to creating the certification.  Is
that better done on -advocacy or on a separate list?  Is there any reason
for a separate domain?

If I were organizing it, I'd create a separate list but on postgresql.org,
e.g. pgsql-certification(at)postgresql(dot)org, to develop the certification, and
maybe a 3ld for the trac, like certification.postgresql.org.  That gives
the effort an instant "community" stamp.  It also limits the domain
proliferation problem which was one of the chief complaints about our
project 3 years ago before we rolled up the 6 domains what made up the
main postgresql.org.

It would also mean that the list archives are searchable together with all
the other postgresql.org list archives, an important point.

So, I'm in favor of a separate list, but think that having a separate
domain is a mistake.  The separate domain says "this is a Drake and Selena
effort and not a community effort" to those not involved.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun