Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2008-01-31 14:32:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
> Josh,
>
> > Myself and a small team of PostgreSQL contributors have started a new
> > community project for PostgreSQL Certification. It is just launching
> > but we wanted to get it out there so that people can join in on the
> > discussion now :).
>
> Who else is in this?  Have you talked to the Venezualan folks?  SRA?
>
> As you know, I'm strongly in favor of a good, generally respected
> certification.  Let's get all of the interested folks on one project.

Up to now SRA OSS, Inc. Japan's certification has more than 1,000
examinees. I'm proud of this, but am not satisfied with this. From the
beginning of the certification, I have a dream that someday the
certification be managed by public entity, not by a private company
like us. Yes, that's my goal. So if Josh and his folks are very
serious about making a good certfication, I'm more than happy to help
them.

However running a certification programs (not just making examins) is
not a trivial work. Moreover it costs a lot of money (over $40,000 per
year in our case). Josh, how do you overcome those problems?
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan