Re: PostgreSQL Europe statutes : recap

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Cc: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Europe statutes : recap
Date: 2008-01-21 12:52:54
Lists: pgeu-general

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 05:53:56AM +0100, damien clochard wrote:
> hello !
>
> As you have notice, messages about the statutes for the upcoming association
> have suddenly stopped a few days ago. My guess is that's not because of lack
> of interest. i feel that this whole thread was very difficult to follow, so i
> took the 60 e-mails and tried to write a sum-up.

Thanks!

> check-it out : http://wiki.postgresqlfr.org/doku.php/pgeu:statutes_discuss
>
> i tried to respect everyone's thoughts (using quotes as mush as possible) in
> order to give a proper view of the issues we have to solve. however i may
> have made mistakes or forgot some ideas. If you notice any of that the best
> thing to do is to directly edit the wiki page. If you can't, please send me
> your modifications in a private e-mail.

I think using the list for discussion is what most of us are used to, so
let's do that...

> i have identified 5 issues and several possible solutions for every issue :
>
> 1- Membership fee ?
> a : Keep the statutes as they are
> b : No membership fee for people
> c : Optional membership fee for people

Does this need to be in the statues at all? If we can keep it out of the
statues, that'll make it a lot easier to change it if need be.

> 2- Membership ?
> a : Keep the statutes as they are
> b : Automatic membership for users of local groups
> c : Optional membership for users of local groups

This I think needs to be in the statues.

> 3- Quorum ?
> a : Keep the statutes as they are
> b : Lower the quorum
> c : Drop the quorum
>
> 4- Takeover protection ?
> a : Keep statutes as they are
> b : Add more criterium for the member to satisfy

Same with these two.

> 5- Companies : sponsors or members ?
> a : Keep the statutes as they are
> b : Companies are sponsors

If #1 can be kept outside the statues, so can this one.

The way I see it, getting the stuff that needs to be in the statues done
quickly is the most important part. The less we can "lock up" in the
statues, the easier it will be for us to adapt to what the member wants
over time.

//Magnus