Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes

From: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, damien(at)dalibo(dot)info, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Candidate of the PostgreSQL Europe association statutes
Date: 2008-01-13 21:52:21
Lists: pgeu-general

Hello all,

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 09:46:35PM +0000, Dave Page wrote:

> On 13/01/2008, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > That's the case, for instance, of the Italian PostgreSQL Users Group as
> > well. We have just one typology of members, standard members, and the
> > annual fee is 25 euro. Running a non-profit organisation has some costs,
> > and members accept it.
>
> I think maybe we have some miscommunication between us here. My
> understanding of what we all agreed in Prato was that PG-EU would be
> an 'umbrella' organisation, supporting the regional user groups.
>
> In that scenario, the only 'members' of PG-EU would be the regional
> groups themselves, and the staff/volunteers running it.
>
> Normal users would join their regional group, such as PostgreSQLFr or
> the Italian PUG, and pay the appropriate membership.

What about the many countries without regional associations?
Not even germany has a group or is forming one. What about UK?

> Otherwise, many users will only join one or the other which would make
> PG-EU and the regional groups competitors with each other.

Why? They can work in both and i don't see competition here.

> For example, if PG-EU operated as a user group, why would I bother
> joining it instead of the UK User Group which we're just trying to
> setup? Or, should we just not bother with the UK group?

If UK has a group, nice, very good. Thats for regional work, if you have
enough members to support the work. But the EU group is also for
countries which don't have a regional group. We also should be present
in this countries and one of the topics could be building regional
groups.

So what is the real problem here? The membership fee? Or the "umbrella"
status?

Kind regards

--
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum